The Tuesday night track workout is the main focus of the club. From mid-October to mid-March, track practice is held at Wakefield High School in Arlington, and from mid-March to mid-October at T.C. Williams High School in Alexandria.
The goal of track workouts is to increase strength, endurance, and speed. The sessions last for about an hour. NOVA Coach Jerry Alexander designs and oversees the workouts, during which he advises on pace, race preparation, injury prevention, and running form. We get, on average, about 20 to 30 people per workout.
Beginning Tuesday, March 15, 2016 we are moving to T.C. Williams High School for track practice for the spring, summer, and fall. However, due to the high school spring sports schedules, please check the weekly newsletter or Facebook every Tuesday for any last minute changes to location.
6:15-6:30pm: Warm-up (one to two miles)
6:30pm: Welcome/Announcements, striders, workout starts
7:30pm-8pm: Workout concludes, cool-down (one to two miles)
- Stay in Lane 1 while running your hard intervals, and move to Lanes 3 & 4 when jogging between intervals or waiting for the next interval to start
- Pass on the outside and move immediately to the inside once safely past the runner ahead of you
- When you finish an interval, run directly through the finish line, then check over your shoulder for any runners behind you before moving out to the outer lanes of the track
- Depending on the size of the group, runners may split into up to 3 groups for intervals. Group sizes and numbers of groups depend on number of people at practice. We will work with you to decide on which group to join. This allows for proper rest time between intervals, but requires paying better attention to your lane and fellow runners on the track
- Bring your own water to practice! We try to provide extra water and/or Gatorade during the summer months, but in general everyone is responsible for their own hydration
- Wear proper attire for the weather that day (i.e. bring extra warm clothes for the warmup and cooldown during colder months, and wear light clothes for workouts during warm months)
- Be encouraging and supportive to your fellow runners
- Talk to the NOVA Coach or President if you have questions or concerns before the workout if possible
- No foul language please, as we are on public school property