From Coach Jerry:Grant has been an outstanding addition to NOVA. We’re constantly on the lookout for top-level men to lead our top group, and Grant has filled that role to perfection this fall. Grant is a great talent, and while he was a tad out of shape when he first arrived at practice, he has worked his way back to close to full fitness, and the results have proven that out at Veterans Day 10k, the Alexandria Turkey Trot, and the Jingle All the Way 5k. It’s a pleasure working with Grant, and I look forward to even better results from him in the future.
1) What are your PRs (5k, 10K, any others?)
5k: 15:14, 8k: 25:18, 10k: 32:50
2) Goal race(s) for this year? Other races planned?
Right now I’m focused on getting the best shape I can. I’ll run hard in the races I’m in and try to constantly improve.
3) What do you consider your best race performance to date?
I still look back fondly at my senior year of high school’s indoor state meet. I ran the 3k/1500 double and got 3rd and 1st respectively, which helped us secure our first state championship in many year. Races always feel more special when you’re running for a team and not just yourself.
4) How and when did you find NOVA, and what do you like best about the team?
My coworker, Joe Whitmore, suggested I take a look at NOVA when I showed up to my job. I like how we don’t care about age, speed, or experience here. Running is a great sport and those of us who love it should welcome anyone who wants to give it a try.
5) What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received from Coach Jerry?
I was extremely burnt-out after graduating college and wasn’t sure what I would do with running. Jerry has helped give me direction and the discipline I need to keep working hard to get faster. So not advice per se but definitely what I needed.
6) What thoughts do you have on your performance at the Jingle 5K, or other recent races?
They were good efforts but there is still a lot of work to be done.
7) What non-running fitness related (or other) activities do you enjoy?
I’m trying to do yoga once a week but I mostly stick to running.