The Northern Virginia Running Club is a non-profit organization with an elected, volunteer board, composed of club members, which manages the club’s finances, operations and activities. Any member of the Northern Virginia Running Club in good standing is eligible to serve on the board according to club by-laws. The members of the board are elected on a yearly basis by all members of the club. Elections are held every December and the new board begins duties in mid-January. The board is composed of members performing the following functions:
- President: The President is responsible for leading the organization and operations of regular club activities, including weekly Tuesday track practices and Thursday tempo runs; writing the President’s Message and collecting, consolidating, and verifying all additional input for the weekly newsletter, assisting Special Events Coordinator with special events, as needed; assisting Vice President with the organization of Team Races, supporting the Coach and Membership Coordinator in recruiting and responding to inquiries from interested members via email; supporting the Social Media Director with social media and communications efforts; convening quarterly NOVA Board meetings; managing NOVA End of Year Operations; overseeing the work of the other Board Members; and serving as the general spokesperson of the club.
- Vice President: The Vice President is responsible for assisting with regular club activities, including weekly track practices and tempo runs; assigning and coordinating volunteers for special events (i.e. NOVA 5K); assisting with special events; leading the organization of Team Races; coordinating NOVA Featured Runner; taking minutes at the quarterly NOVA Board meetings and distributing them within one week following meeting; managing the completion of tax forms, RRCA insurance, and non-profit status; writing the newsletter message when the President is away; assisting with social media and communications efforts; and assuming the duties of the President in the event of resignation, absence, or incapacity of the President. The Vice President may also chair special committees as designated by the Board.
- Newsletter Coordinator: The Newsletter Coordinator is responsible for distribution of the weekly newsletter, to include collecting and reviewing/validating all information; coordinating with the Special Events Coordinator on upcoming events; sending out special edition newsletters when needed for special events and last minute changes to track practice; collecting race results into master spreadsheet for posting online; and coordinating with the Membership Coordinator to include member birthdays.
- Social Media and Communications Coordinator: The Social Media and Communications Coordinator is responsible for leading all social media and communications activities for the club, to include posting to include posting status updates, creating events, and posting photos on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram; taking photos at NOVA events and posting on Flickr; making updates to the NOVA website and serving as general webmaster and administrator; working with president to coordinator sponsorship deals and posting of logos to website; responding to and/or delegating inquiries into the NOVA Gmail inbox; and conducting general club marketing, outreach, and member recruitment efforts.
- Special Events and Marketing Coordinator: The Special Events and Marketing Coordinator is responsible for managing the coordination and execution of all NOVA special events, including the NOVA Annual NOVA 5K, bi-annual NOVA Trail Cleanup, End of Year Team Party, and other special events; managing Club Marketing and Sponsorship Agreements through coordination with NOVA President, assist President/VP with logistics of weekly NOVA operations, such as track schedules/ availability at TC Williams and Wakefield High, and coordination of track lights at Wakefield during the winter months.
- Gear Coordinator: The Gear Coordinator is responsible for working with local vendors to manage the order and distribution of NOVA gear/jersey orders for club members. Tasks include working with printer to print NOVA logos on gear; working with NOVA President and Treasurer to finalize gear selection, quantities, sizes, and payment of overstock for inventory; conducting research to determine the best quality, lowest cost option for gear (fluctuates depending on availability and pricing by vendors); managing issues and troubleshooting gear orders (supply, quality, fit) directly with NOVA members and with NOVA President; and distributing gear to members, including in person and/or mail orders if necessary.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer is responsible for preparing the annual NOVA club budget and financial forecasting; managing the bank deposits; club payments and expense management; working with Gear Coordinator to coordinate gear inventory/orders; working with Resource Director to develop fundraising plans; and making financial information available to Board members and the public upon request.
- Membership Coordinator: The Membership Coordinator is responsible for managing the NOVA membership roster and email distribution list; tracking the dates of membership renewals and expiration and informing members of their membership status on a monthly basis; documenting weekly attendance on Tuesdays after practice; providing membership/contact information to the other board members as requested; collecting membership forms at practice; managing updates to emergency contact information for members; responding to inquiries from interested members; and serving as backup to the Newsletter Coordinator in distributing the weekly newsletter as needed.
NOVA Resource Director: The Resource Director is responsible for arranging, executing, and coordinating proactive fundraising for the Club as well as in-kind contributions, in order to help guarantee resources for the short and long-term actions and solvency of NOVA. The Resource Director establishes new options for funding such as estate planning to establish an ongoing cadre of resources; solicits donations/sponsorship for the NOVA 5K and other events; drafts letters to potential donors of all types; works with NOVA Treasurer and Special Events and Marketing Coordinator to assure plans coordinate with existing and ongoing fundraising.
- Member-at-Large: One Member-at-Large serves as the spokesperson or representative for the general membership of the club. The primary focus of this position is to provide insight on how policies, procedures, or activities of the Board affect general members and to raise concerns if the membership is impacted. The Member-at-Large has a duty to serve on the Board and to support the Board in its decisions. This individual attends quarterly Board meetings and maintains voting powers.